StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Abnormal Activity filters<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #49634
Ignore TheRumpledOne
1/27/2007 7:29:23 PM

The Catalyst
Stockscores.com Perspectives for the week ending January 27, 2007

The most powerful filters available on the Stockscores Market Scan are the Abnormal Activity filters, both for price change and volume. These filters look for statistically significant abnormal price change or volume and are really the foundation of the Stockscores Approach. We believe that beating the market requires that you play stocks that are in play and that strong, money making trends start with abnormal activity.

Now, let me prove to you that this is the case. I did a few market scans to find stocks that have been performing really well in the last few months. I did this on two very different markets, the TSX Venture market and the Nasdaq. This way, I could see how this theory worked on speculative penny stocks but also on much more established company stocks like those found on Nasdaq.

Here are the top performing stocks (assuming they traded at least 100 times on Friday) on the TSX Venture over the last few months.

V.CBI
V.CNU
V.WRI
V.UNO
V.NOT
V.GEM
V.VIT
V.SOX
V.NKW
V.PTU
V.SIR
V.SNS
V.RSC
V.WEW

I looked at the charts to see how many of these strong up trends started with a day of abnormal price gain and abnormal volume. There had to be a burst of activity out of a period of relative quiet trading. Guess how many of the 14 stocks above started their uptrends with abnormal price gain and abnormal volume on the same trading day?

All of them.

Now, let me move to the Nasdaq market. Here are the top performers:

FORG
ONSM
MEMY
ARTX
MAMA
HAYZ
TRCR
PNCL
FRPT

Of these nine stocks, eight of the strong up trends started with abnormal price and volume action.

Here is why …

Stocks outperform the market when they are undergoing significant fundamental change in their business. When investors begin to learn about significant fundamental change they buy the stock aggressively, creating the abnormal trading activity. When you see abnormal trading activity out of a period of quiet trading, a sign that the market is surprised by the change, you have a good trading opportunity.

To identify these opportunities you need to have a tool to find the abnormal stocks, that is what the Stockscores Market Scan does. To trade them effectively, you need to have a well thought out trading plan and a set of rules for managing risk effectively as well as knowing when to exit the trades. This is what we teach in the StockSchool Pro course, which is now all available online at Stockscores.com.

What is important is to realize that just because the winners started with abnormal activity, not all stocks that trade abnormally start in to up trends. We have to know how to differentiate between those that are likely to do so and those that are not worth the risk.

Some of the key things to think about when looking at these charts is to find the stocks that are not well in to a trend already. To rule out stocks that are not showing some optimism on the chart. To focus on the stocks that are breaking from low price volatility.

I was asked the other day if the markets have evolved over the years that I have been trading and if I still do what I did 15 years ago. While I have improved my trading skills over the years, I still focus on stocks that are behaving abnormally just as I did 17 years ago when I was broke and hanging around the old Alberta stock exchange, hoping to make money from the stock market.

UNITED
81 posts
msg #49636
Ignore UNITED
1/27/2007 9:51:32 PM

What you are saying makes alot of sence.If you want to make money trading,you have to go to where the action is.I proved it to myself time after time with real money.If I only traded where the action is and avoided all other types of trades,my account statement would look alot better than it is by a wide margin.That's why I finally decided to go to the power trades only.Like you said,come up with an entry and risk level that suits you.....Michael...

Muddy
55 posts
msg #49635
Ignore Muddy
modified
1/27/2007 10:02:16 PM

"The most powerful filters available on the Stockscores Market Scan are the Abnormal Activity filters, both for price change and volume."

"We believe that beating the market requires that you play stocks that are in play and that strong, money making trends start with abnormal activity."

"I looked at the charts to see how many of these strong up trends started with a day of abnormal price gain and abnormal volume. There had to be a burst of activity out of a period of relative quiet trading."

"When you see abnormal trading activity out of a period of quiet trading, a sign that the market is surprised by the change, you have a good trading opportunity."

"To focus on the stocks that are breaking from low price volatility."

"I still focus on stocks that are behaving abnormally just as I did 17 years ago"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

WOW, Deja Vu all over again! Over 2 years ago:

wallman(Muddy)

10/27/2004 8:21:57 PM

Dick,IF you're talking about its break on 9-21,i've said this a few times here, you DO NOT need a filter to pick these up,all you need is a site such as i use ,www.smallcapcenter.com,punch in abnormal vol increase (in this case a nothing vol stock to 120k) and abnormal price increase.

Almost 3 years ago:

wallman
3/10/2004 7:46:47 PM

ZUB,any thoughts on DCTH, looks like a ubb runner,i caught it at 1.94 on a break from the bb squeeze on monster volume increase,just as i did on 1 - 7 under the exact same circumstances,in fact RSI 2 in both cases was the same at 67 before the break and now into the 90's which usually indicates a few days more run.

3/11/2004 1:09:29 PM

WOW ... Wallman!!!

Talk About Monster Volume... your DCTH is 88 times avg Vol, and it's only 1 PM.

Looove them squeezes!!!

travlr

PS... Thanks again for the smallcapcenter info you gave me the other day.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hmmmmmm, These stocks sound kinda familiar to me.

Now, let me move to the Nasdaq market. Here are the top performers:

FORG
ONSM
MEMY
ARTX
MAMA
HAYZ
TRCR
PNCL
FRPT

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #49642
Ignore TheRumpledOne
1/28/2007 11:29:30 AM

I knew you would like that one, Wallman/Muddy...LOL!!

Muddy
55 posts
msg #49644
Ignore Muddy
1/28/2007 11:35:50 AM

Yes and forgot to mention the credit goes out to HG and you TRO for the "abnormal" smallcapcenter.com scan

tulanch
24 posts
msg #49663
Ignore tulanch
1/29/2007 12:10:27 AM

Hi TRO and Muddy,

I’ve been sitting in on Muddy’s chat room for the past week and have watched what this thread is about in action – amazing. But how does one find the stocks with abnormal moves based on real time data feeds? The smallcapcenter tech search seems to be based on delayed data, not real time data quotes. I can use SF to finds stocks that behaved this way yesterday and then watch the stocks the next day using a real time stock feed such as with etrade and yahoo. But it would seem there must be a system available to do the searching for abnormal moves based on real time feeds – how can one do this?
Thanks for your help and insights....

bes22
9 posts
msg #49670
Ignore bes22
1/29/2007 8:01:28 AM

TRO,info please
"The most powerful filters available on the Stockscores Market Scan are the Abnormal Activity filters, both for price change and volume. These filters look for statistically significant abnormal price change or volume and are really the foundation of the Stockscores Approach."

I logged into Stockscores Market Scan and I must have developed a sudden case of the "plawns". I can not locate the Abnormal Activity filters you spoke about. Can you please point an old geezer in the right direction.

TIA Regards Eddie S

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #49677
Ignore TheRumpledOne
1/29/2007 10:26:37 AM

The delay isn't as bad as you think. Just use it a few times and you'll see.

The filter is for PAID STOCKSCORES MEMBERS. But if you search this forum, you'll find my PRICE VOLUME display filter, PRICE SPIKE FILTER and VOLUME SPIKE FILTER. You can also use my BASIC FILTER to get the ABNORMAL activity display.

HTH.

tulanch
24 posts
msg #49680
Ignore tulanch
1/29/2007 11:33:34 AM

TRO, thanks for the timing answer...I'll watch it to day...

as for other users the abnormal query location question

on small capcenter.com try this....

click on the tools menu
then technical search
then in the price indicator queries area you can pick the Abnormal Activity dropdown
And in the volume indicator queries area you can pick the Abnormal Volume dropdown

I am under the assumption that these are what has been talked about in this thread....

Also, I signed up for the free stockscores login, and it worked at home last night, but here at work security/firewalls/etc... get in the way of accessing this site for some reason. But it seemed to me that the stockscores pages looked identical to the smallcapcenter pages. Made me think these two sites were related in some way.

Muddy
55 posts
msg #49686
Ignore Muddy
1/29/2007 2:02:56 PM

1/28/2007 11:35:50 AM

"Yes and forgot to mention the credit goes out to HG and you TRO for the "abnormal" smallcapcenter.com scan"

from todays alerts on chat:
(Jan 29-10:30) Muddy: penny HYRF vol scan .15

(Jan 29-10:47) Muddy: HYRF now 133% still vol scan

(Jan 29-12:57) Muddy: HYRF now 272% like I said,don't sell yet,haha
(Jan 29-12:57) Muddy: 300%

Again,Thanks guys!!

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Abnormal Activity filters<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.