StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Bollinger Band Squeeze<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
rrochon
117 posts
msg #33703
Ignore rrochon
10/27/2004 2:33:25 PM

How do you write a filter to get a bollinger band squeeze like ZICA?

Dick

yepher
359 posts
msg #33705
Ignore yepher
10/27/2004 4:52:40 PM

I am not sure exactly what attribute of ZICA's squeeze you like but this is one possibility

Fetcher[
bollinger(20) width reached a new 6 month high within the last 30 days
and bollinger(20) width near 6 month low
]

wallman
299 posts
msg #33707
Ignore wallman
10/27/2004 8:21:57 PM

Dick,IF you're talking about its break on 9-21,i've said this a few times here, you DO NOT need a filter to pick these up,all you need is a site such as i use ,www.smallcapcenter.com,punch in abnormal vol increase (in this case a nothing vol stock to 120k) and abnormal price increase,and for myself i like to use 15 and 80 day resistance break at smallcapcenter, i know that it picked it up that day because i remember looking at it,for squeeze breaks scans beats filters everytime imo

rrochon
117 posts
msg #33718
Ignore rrochon
10/28/2004 3:07:18 PM

Thanks for the suggestions for BB Squeezes.

What can you add to a filter to assure you do not get OTCBB stocks? I like to trade low priced stocks, but Freetrade will not allow me to put buy or sell stops, so they have to be watched continously to protect gains and prevent losses.

rrochon
117 posts
msg #33719
Ignore rrochon
10/28/2004 3:21:41 PM

Muddy,

I have found the window with the abnormal volume increase, etc., on it. Can you explain, step by step, how and where you enter the other parameters? I'm not sure I exactly follow your recommendations.

Thanks,

Dick

yepher
359 posts
msg #33722
Ignore yepher
10/28/2004 5:48:29 PM

To exclude OTCBB

Fetcher[
bollinger(20) width reached a new 6 month high within the last 30 days
AND bollinger(20) width near 6 month low

AND market is not OTCBB
]

kgriffen
49 posts
msg #33723
Ignore kgriffen
10/28/2004 6:04:37 PM

I use this filter daily:

Fetcher[/* Parameters */
Bollinger Width(20,2) reached a new 6 month low within the last 5 days
Intraday Intensity Oscillator(20) is increasing for 1 day
weekly slow stochastics(6) fast % K is above weekly slow stochastics(6) slow %d
weekly slow Stochastics(6) fast % K is below 75
close yesterday was below Upper Bollinger Band(20,2) for the last 5 days
close crossed above Upper Bollinger Band(20,2)

/* Variables */
set {b100, Bollinger Width(20,2)*100}

/* Charting */

/* Columns */
add column b100 {BBandW}

/* Price Volume Limits */
price is greater than 1.00
volume is greater than 100000
]

wallman
299 posts
msg #33733
Ignore wallman
10/28/2004 9:47:21 PM

Dick ,i use price 1 - 15, country USA, abnormal activity price up,abnormal volume up, 80 (and then 15)day resistance breakout,short term bullish,that's all ... the reason scan beats filter hands down imo is that with bb squeeze breaks they can be violent up moves that first day,with the scan if you can watch intraday you will catch them as they occur,if you can't you still have them for the next day,2 i caught huge recent were HIET on 10-18 for 85% one day profit and a beautiful squeeze break on ADSX for 38% on 10-13,look at the vol increase on those days they broke! ... i know you're in my stockfetcher group so i know you'll understand when i say both these stocks are included in my favorites list,a reason i wanted to jump them right at the start and not wait for an eod filter

wallman
299 posts
msg #33740
Ignore wallman
10/29/2004 12:41:30 AM

Dick, one thing i forgot to mention,if you want to follow up on these with the stocks on my favorites list a really great way to do it is to take a stock that hit this scan (either or as i do both 15 and 80 day resistance) and wait a day or two for it to close down,then wait for a green hold and if the volume is average or above it is a good % play very many times ... it can be dramatic like ZTEL break of 80 day was a day ago or more subtle like ARDI break of 15,both have kept their volume up in the last day,ARDI in fact has the 3 day stairstep increase that i always like,i expect if either ARDI or ZTEL can hold green Friday they can run some good %

rrochon
117 posts
msg #33742
Ignore rrochon
10/29/2004 12:52:35 PM

Thanks, Muddy. That sure brought up lots of stocks breaking out of the BB Squeeze. Most of them, as you said, had already broken out and might pull back in a day, or so, for an entry signal. I thought this was an end of day screen, but running it again this morning I see that it is an intra day, and can be watched for current break outs. "That's what I'm talkin about!"

A couple that broke out yesterday for gains of 13% to 17%, I expected to drop this morning from profit taking, but they are still going up. Curious.

Thanks again,

Dick

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Bollinger Band Squeeze<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.