StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · ETF....ETF......ETF....ETF...ETF....ETF...ETF....<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up
fortyfour
189 posts
msg #85618
Ignore fortyfour
1/6/2010 3:11:27 AM

How about a thread where all things ETF can be dumped ?

I could be wrong , but, there could be some interest out there.
I miss a lot as I dont watch markets everyday......but , my thinking
is that if a hundred people out there are watching a hundred etfs
then not much will be missed.

I recently noticed the Bull and Bear 3X Treasury 10 and 30 year indices.
The Bear pair seem to be tradeable as a proxy for rising rates. That is
going to happen isnt it? For years to come isnt it? So I'm told.....

Also, I read that a new palladium metals ETF has been approved.
PAL and SWC may benefit from that....

Drew9 recently informed of the new 3x China bull/bear. Low volume but
Its gonna catch on.. Funny my Stockfetcher filters wont disply CZM which is in
my LONGS watchlist.

With jobs, families, IRA's these "new" products may actually be enough,
or, a "core" for many people.....non-professional traders that is.....

Etfs seem to be useful when oversold filters give way too many hits at those times
when the market is oversold. Maybe focus position size/risk on one 3x proxy with no
company risk.

I dont like the bear etfs......

Anyone else ..... Dont be shy.

/**************************************************************************************************************
DREXERION ETF 3X LIST

BGU Daily Large Cap Bull 3x Shares Russell 1000 300% RIY
MWJ Daily Mid Cap Bull 3x Shares Russell Midcap Index 300% RMC
TNA Daily Small Cap Bull 3x Shares Russell 2000 300% RTY
ERX Daily Energy Bull 3x Shares Russell 1000 Energy 300% RGUSEL
FAS Daily Financial Bull 3x Shares Russell 1000 Financial Services 300% RGUSFL
DRN Daily Real Estate Bull 3x Shares MSCI US REIT Index 300% RMZ
TYH Daily Technology Bull 3X Shares Russell 1000 Technology Index 300% RGUSTL
DZK Daily Developed Markets Bull 3X Shares MSCI EAFE Index 300% MXEA
CZM Daily China Bull 3x Shares BNY China Select ADR Index 300% BKTCN
EDC Daily Emerging Markets Bull 3X Shares MSCI Emerging Markets Index 300% MXEF
LBJ Daily Latin America Bull 3x Shares S&P Latin America 40 Index 300% SPLAC
TYD Daily 10-Year Treasury Bull 3x Shares NYSE Arca Current 10-Year U.S. Treasury Index 300% AXTEN
TMF Daily 30-Year Treasury Bull 3x Shares NYSE Arca Current 30-Year U.S. Treasury Index 300% AXTHR

Bear
BGZ Daily Large Cap Bear 3x Shares Russell 1000 -300% RIY
MWN Daily Mid Cap Bear 3x Shares Russell Midcap Index -300% RMC
TZA Daily Small Cap Bear 3x Shares Russell 2000 -300% RTY
ERY Daily Energy Bear 3x Shares Russell 1000 Energy -300% RGUSEL
FAZ Daily Financial Bear 3x Shares Russell 1000 Financial Services -300% RGUSFL
DRV Daily Real Estate Bear 3x Shares MSCI US REIT Index -300% RMZ
TYP Daily Technology Bear 3X Shares Russell 1000 Technology Index -300% RGUSTL
DPK Daily Developed Markets Bear 3X Shares MSCI EAFE Index -300% MXEA
CZI Daily China Bear 3x Shares BNY China Select ADR Index -300% BKTCN
EDZ Daily Emerging Markets Bear 3x Shares MSCI Emerging Markets Index -300% MXEF
LHB Daily Latin America Bear 3x Shares S&P Latin America 40 Index -300% SPLAC
TYO Daily 10-Year Treasury Bear 3x Shares NYSE Arca Current 10-Year U.S. Treasury Index -300% AXTEN
TMV Daily 30-Year Treasury Bear 3x Shares NYSE Arca Current 30-Year U.S. Treasury Index -300% AXTHR

/********************************************************************************************************************

drew9
171 posts
msg #85698
Ignore drew9
1/7/2010 3:39:03 AM

First if you go into "Settings" you can shorten the timeframe needed for new stocks to show up in your filters and the China ETF will show up. Also, do some searches on the 3X leveraged funds and read the blogs available. These are NOT funds that you want to buy and hold. While I like your thoughts on the Treasury Fund, there is in many cases little correlation to the underlying index and how the Direxion funds actually react in the long term. This is due to having to rebalance or "reset" them to the underlying index every day. This involves using futures which have time decay. Once you learn about these most will agree it is best to actually short the long fund instead of buying the short fund due to this decay. So these can be great trading vehicles but be very careful from a longer term perspective.

duke56468
683 posts
msg #85711
Ignore duke56468
1/7/2010 10:30:39 AM

drew9,
Do all leveraged funds, not just the short leveraged funds "reset daily"? I was under the impression that all short etf's closed out the position at the close of each trading day, which also makes them unsuitable for long term investing. To see the effect of this put 1000 in your calculator and then add 10%, then subtract 10%, then add 10%, then subtract 10%, ect. and you soon see your investment decline. I'm sure most people are already aware of this, but for those that are not it helps to visualize it this way.

fortyfour
189 posts
msg #85766
Ignore fortyfour
modified
1/7/2010 5:18:17 PM

Im watching for the long oil's (UCO,USO) to bump into resistance along with
China's tightening/slowing growth/demand/lending. Maybe a swing trade coming in the bear (DTO)

DRN ( a volatile sucker) bouncing today made me look at AHT (too late). Seems like everything
REIT today (a little oversold lately) moved. Gonna take a shot at DDR with a stop at LOD. Or just maybe DRN...

Thanks for the advice Drew9.

By the way JohnPaul..... if you see things in your travels like airlines or coal as a group making a move
could you drop a line here..

Without others occaisionally tossing thougths/idea out this thread will die cause Im about tapped out....
and I aint no moderator.....

ETF break-out, upper BB freaks welcome also....

Any ETF trade setups / ideas / thoughts anyone?

fortyfour
189 posts
msg #85891
Ignore fortyfour
modified
1/10/2010 3:40:29 AM

Looks like REITS , retail e-commerce , and restaraunts stick out as decent swing trade setups.

About 25 days ago several restaraunts set up for a swing trade and did ok.
Someone is picking PNRA on another thread.

DRN and other real estate etfs seem oversold.

AMZN is one of those retail e-commerce.

Im not happy that stockfetcher cant assign an industry group to the likes of POT and BTU
Comes up with that ubickquicktus NA.... hows that for spelin.

drew9
171 posts
msg #85901
Ignore drew9
1/10/2010 12:38:05 PM

While I have only researched the Direxion Funds, I am assuming all have to reset daily. Obviously, the more leverage, the more the results can vary from the index itself. You can actually see the calculations in an example on the Direxion web site. I feel comfortable trading these for a few days which works fine but long term you really have to watch them. Here is a good filter to use for your ETF's. Just load those you want to trade into a watch list and then use this for your filter for longs. Shorts would be the opposite. It brings outstanding results.

Bollinger Oscillator(16,2.2) crossed above -90

fortyfour
189 posts
msg #85905
Ignore fortyfour
1/10/2010 1:55:14 PM

I have found SEA and FAA for shipping and airlines respectvely.

FAA has very thin volume. II will have to look into the risks trading such a thin ETF

Wonder if it is similar to trading a thin stock..........

fortyfour
189 posts
msg #85965
Ignore fortyfour
1/11/2010 6:00:13 PM

That is a very good indicator Dew9.....
I'm sitting here comparing it to Williams %r(10) which is the setup I use.

......... Short oil DTO is on my ETF buy list......

mesayah
658 posts
msg #86056
Ignore mesayah
modified
1/12/2010 7:04:06 PM

I bought FAZ @ 17.17. looking for low 20s

fortyfour
189 posts
msg #86071
Ignore fortyfour
1/12/2010 7:59:36 PM

More DTO for me......near close

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · ETF....ETF......ETF....ETF...ETF....ETF...ETF....<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.