StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · One Favorite Indicator<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
duke56468
683 posts
msg #85586
Ignore duke56468
1/5/2010 6:45:35 PM

If you could have only one indicator (not counting price and volume) to enter and exit, i.e. RSI(2), stochastic, MA crossover,bollinger band, Candle pattern, ect what would it be? I will start it off

Long term investments .............MA(26) crossing the MA(52). on daily and weekly chart.
Short term trade........................Ichimoku cloud on an hourly chart (sort of cheating since it uses multiple moving averages)

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #85587
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
1/5/2010 7:09:58 PM

Long term investments: MA(10) crossing MA(16).

Shorter term investments: 10 day ema of ^ADVN crossing 10 day ema of ^DECN. Look here:

Fetcher[

/*MARKET INDICATOR BASED ON ADVANCING AND DECLINING STOCKS ON THE NYSE*/

set{var1,ind(^advn,close)}
set{var2,ind(^decn,close)}

set{advancing_count, CEMA(var1,10)}
set{declining_count, CEMA(var2,10)}
set{oscillator, advancing_count / declining_count}

set{null,0}

draw oscillator line at 1
draw declining_count on plot null
draw advancing_count on plot null

add column advancing_count {advancing}
add column declining_count {declining}
add column oscillator

symlist(spy,dia,qqqq)

chart-time is 6 months
]

This is for market timing, rather than specific stocks. Note how when the oscillator value exceeds 1.0, markets take off.

BarTune1
441 posts
msg #85591
Ignore BarTune1
1/5/2010 8:19:09 PM

Kevin,

That short term indicator is brilliant ..... how do you think it compares to the VIX divergence signal when its outside the (9,2) BB?

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #85596
Ignore chetron
1/5/2010 9:03:25 PM

VERY NICE, KEV.

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #85605
Ignore Eman93
1/5/2010 10:21:09 PM

SWEET !!!!

OK we need over bought and over sold levels.... Use for entry and exit of fav swing filter..........

Then we can back test the bejeus out of it..... because some how that would be helpfull?????

How has this tested on SPY?

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #85606
Ignore Eman93
1/5/2010 10:33:39 PM

OK a few quick questions..

set{var1,ind(^advn,close)} ==== what is the ind? thats a new one on me.

didnt think we could use the ^ indexes in filters?

can we use the nadq ?

CEMA = custom ex moving average...got that one.

fortyfour
189 posts
msg #85607
Ignore fortyfour
1/5/2010 11:21:49 PM

Williams %r(12)........ I move real slow.

FedEx (FDX) looks good.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #85610
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
1/5/2010 11:31:03 PM

I thought folks might like this one ... to be honest, I stole some coding from Chetron and modified it for the advancing and declining stocks on the NYSE.

I want to combine this with market volume action as well. I had written another filter on up and down volume, that if combined with tis might be a neat market indicator system. If only we had advancing and declining volumes as well on SF, it would be easy.

I am tempted to use this one to trade the 2x/3x leveraged ETFs, based on how it swings.

Feel free to use, modify, or ignore as you see fit.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #85611
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
1/5/2010 11:34:14 PM

set{var1,ind(^advn,close)} ==== what is the ind? thats a new one on me.

didnt think we could use the ^ indexes in filters?
+++++++++++++++++++

We can't get indices as OUTPUTS, but we can use them as inputs to create custom indicators or variables. The ind() function was new to me as well - I first saw Chet using it to draw the VIX with BBs as a separate plot a while back, then again a few days ago on another thread. That was what I needed to do this.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #85612
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
1/5/2010 11:42:54 PM

BarTune1 1/5/2010 8:19:09 PM

Kevin,

That short term indicator is brilliant ..... how do you think it compares to the VIX divergence signal when its outside the (9,2) BB?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You tell me - I am using VXX as the ^VIX surrogate on this:

Fetcher[

/*MARKET INDICATOR BASED ON ADVANCING AND DECLINING STOCKS ON THE NYSE*/

set{var1,ind(^advn,close)}
set{var2,ind(^decn,close)}

set{advancing_count, CEMA(var1,10)}
set{declining_count, CEMA(var2,10)}
set{oscillator, advancing_count / declining_count}

set{null,0}

draw oscillator line at 1
draw declining_count on plot null
draw advancing_count on plot null
draw Bollinger Bands(9,2)

add column advancing_count {advancing}
add column declining_count {declining}
add column oscillator

symlist(vxx)

chart-time is 6 months
]

Looks like it might be a day or two later in calling an entry for long positions (look at 8/17 and 9/2 as examples), but avoids you getting burned on short calls. All in all, I'd use the BB as an alert, and the advance/decline ratio as a confirmation signal. Also looks like you can stay in the trade a little longer with the A/D ratio versus exiting at the cross of the 5 dayMA

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · One Favorite Indicator<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.