StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Paper trading<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
donblack32
17 posts
msg #29798
Ignore donblack32
11/11/2003 12:10:42 PM

I see where several of you ferfer to paper trading. Do you have a site that you could recommend that allows for paper trading both long and short and has no fee?

Thank you

donblack32
17 posts
msg #29799
Ignore donblack32
11/11/2003 12:12:29 PM

p.s. ferfer is a misspell of refer.

JoeGrossinger
165 posts
msg #29805
Ignore JoeGrossinger
11/11/2003 2:58:32 PM

Don, don't let folks around here know that you paper trade because they will ridicule you to know end. Weird but true.

Why do you need a site? I paper trade all the time, when I'm trading, when I'm not trading. I use my broker's streaming quotes and just trade on well, paper.

If you don't have a brokerage account it might be different.

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #29809
Ignore EWZuber
11/11/2003 4:48:54 PM

donblack32, I'll be amazed if anyone here ridicules you for paper trading.
Most people here are willing to give anyone a hand.
I have done some searches for trading simulators and the only free one I find anymore is one by Cybertrader.
It's free for 30 days only so certainly not enough time to learn to trade on it.
The only other one I found was for individuals and classrooms and is a pay site.
In my opinion, papertrading is a place to start but a good simulator will much better prepare you for the real market.
They are set up to trade with actual ticker price and some with actual available volume. Some are real time and some are delayed 20 min. You'll get used to the various kinds of entries and exits one can make and learn how to navigate a trading platform. No fun learning these things when real money is on the line.
You make one mistake by using the wrong type entry ( limit, stop, stop limit, market, etc. )and you could have paid for the simulator.
Here's the pay site URL;
http://www.stocktrak.com/

Looks like it's $14 for 100 ttrades and $25 for 200 trades.
A few years ago there were several to choose from but most seem to have gone away except for the pay sites. It is probably worth it.

cirius3000
2 posts
msg #29814
Ignore cirius3000
11/11/2003 8:08:48 PM

donblack32,
Try this, http://simulator.investopedia.com/
Learn to invest without putting your money at risk!
It's simple. First, sign up and $100,000 of virtual cash is placed in your account.

Build your portfolio with any stock that trades on a major North American exchange. Your account simulates all aspects of investing with an online brokerage and tracks what happens to your investments.

Continue to test investment strategies and learn advanced trading techniques such as short selling, trading with margin, and buying options. You can even create your own groups and challenge your friends.

And best of all, it's FREE!

petrolpeter
439 posts
msg #29819
Ignore petrolpeter
11/12/2003 5:05:24 AM

Learned a ton from papertrading,don't know what I would do with out it.I just use the MED-VED Quote tracker and tab a portfolio just for papertrading,long or short.If you are starting out,take this portfolio to heart,bad trades are just as important as good trades,learn to recognize them and cut them quick.Just for fun, how high are some of your guys best papertrades?Be honest now,I'm showing MANU@2.30,CSCO@13.19,ELNK@5.04,GDYS@4.67-coulda shoulda woulda-next time!

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #29820
Ignore TheRumpledOne
11/12/2003 9:23:37 AM

donblack32:

When you papertrade your palms don't sweat, your heart doesn't pound and you don't get partial fills. Everything "changes" when you put your money on the line.

Just learn money management and you will do just fine:

http://www.optionetics.com/articles/article_full.asp?idNo=8558

MAY ALL YOUR FILLS BE COMPLETE.

"JoeGrossinger 11/11/2003 2:58:32 PM

Don, don't let folks around here know that you paper trade because they will ridicule you to know end. Weird but true.

Why do you need a site? I paper trade all the time, when I'm trading, when I'm not trading. I use my broker's streaming quotes and just trade on well, paper.

If you don't have a brokerage account it might be different."

You just can't play nice, Joe G.

Anytime you can take a swipe or jab, you do.

Just say what you have to say and leave everyone else out of it? Can you do that?

donblack32
17 posts
msg #29856
Ignore donblack32
11/13/2003 11:06:46 PM

If Investopedia is a reliable and free paper trading platform, perhaps several of us SFers could set up a game and have a friendly challenge. It could mimic your real money investments (except the portfolio would be $100,000) or you could buy stocks that you are interested in but not quite brave enough to put into your real money portfolio.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #29866
Ignore TheRumpledOne
11/14/2003 12:55:21 PM

CLEARSTATION has one too...

Muddy rules that one!

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #29869
Ignore EWZuber
11/14/2003 2:40:32 PM

Usually it is the options traders that rule the sim sites.
I've seen some turn out 400%+ a month consistently.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Paper trading<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.