StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · SWING TRADING<< 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 >>Post Follow-up
klynn55
747 posts
msg #57499
Ignore klynn55
12/4/2007 12:23:18 AM

Am i correct , if i want to make $200.00 a day with Apple , i risk close to $400,000., and try to catch .10 moves or better. i read of investors complaining of A***trade or Sc****trade freezing during trades, what happens then. Just trying to cover all bases. I don't have an axe to grind , just trying to understand!

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #57502
Ignore EWZuber
12/4/2007 8:46:37 AM

klynn55, The shorter the time frame the more money you can possibly make.
Trading the 1 minute chart one can eliminate all the short term moves to the opposite direction and get a lot more gains out of the same Daily Chart move.

curmudgeon
103 posts
msg #57506
Ignore curmudgeon
12/4/2007 9:18:05 AM

"People trying to validate the time they've spent"

I'm not sure that's what it is. I'm thinking it's my Napoleonic complex because I'm 5'2" and have a child's weenie. It might be a touch of my megalomania as I can't stand when people don't do things the way I think they should be done and everyone knows I'm ALWAYS right. Probably some of the old fear of rejection popping up because I'm as big around as I am tall.

Or. Howzabout - a thorough examination of this method is in order before some of the NEWBIES lose all their money. Nothing personal and neither I, TRO or anyone else seems to be concerned about anything except the issue at hand.

betyerbottomdollar
169 posts
msg #57508
Ignore betyerbottomdollar
12/4/2007 9:21:13 AM

curmudgeon?

curmudgeon.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #57560
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/4/2007 6:39:43 PM

"TRO, the name of the thread is Swing Trading, not Day Trading.
No need to be rude dude"

I STARTED THIS THREAD EWZuber and it got derailed. No biggie.

And I was NOT being rude.

Perhaps you're a bit sensitive.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #57561
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/4/2007 6:43:21 PM

"TRO...not saying I'm prepared to just hand you over the ...

...The Keys To The Kingdom...

...not YET anyway...NOT by a long shot !!! "

Can I just take it out for a test spin, please...LOL!!

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #57562
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
12/4/2007 6:44:57 PM

klynn:

"Am i correct , if i want to make $200.00 a day with Apple , i risk close to $400,000., and try to catch .10 moves or better. i read of investors complaining of A***trade or Sc****trade freezing during trades, what happens then. Just trying to cover all bases. I don't have an axe to grind , just trying to understand! "

NO, you are not correct.

I really don't think you should spend any more time on this method.

Obviously, it is NOT for you. You are looking for 'something else'.

Perhaps you'll find something you can be comfortable with.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #57564
Ignore alf44
12/4/2007 7:41:37 PM

I thought this quote / observation from Toby Crabel regarding the OPEN (and his Opening Range Breakout strategy) was interesting and relevant to this topic. fwiw

----------------------------------------------------------------

"...the OPEN is a primary market indicator.

Without an understanding of its importance and the market action around it, it is difficult to come to correct conclusions about market direction.

On certain days the OPEN acts as an ideal point of entry upon breakout. On any day that such a breakout occurs within the first 10 minutes of trading, the information is overwhelmingly in favor of a continuation of that move.

If a trader does not use these entry techniques systematically they should at least be utilized as a general indicator of bias..."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Crabel obviously doesn't view the "OPEN" as "random points in space" ! LOL

Regards,

alf44

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #57567
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/4/2007 8:23:19 PM

ALF44, thanks but I don't need anyone to confirm what my eyes see and years of statistics tell me.

It's funny how some people listen to others rather than finding their own way.

I appreciate you posting that quote because it may help a newbie see the light that others are trying to block out.

curmudgeon
103 posts
msg #57569
Ignore curmudgeon
12/4/2007 8:47:58 PM

"Crabel obviously doesn't view the "OPEN" as "random points in space" ! LOL "

It is a random point in space when you draw a line out from the open in isolation of the data before it. But random in the sense that it is only one point of many before and after it. It really has no magical quality other than it won the lottery to be first that day.

I get the whole "floor trader" bit. It's a romantic way of looking at things in a scrappy, streetwise kind of way. But I have more computing and charting capability on my desk than the NSA had when Toby was a floor trader. Why would'nt I use it?

A few observations: If I did this kind of trading I would use something like 100 or 200 tick bars on a stock like RIMM or AAPL. And I would have buttons that say "buy" and "sell" and they work instantaneously. If you have neither capability I would suggest another method that's less costly to learn about volatility with. It's not "SIMPLE" or "EASY". Nothing in this business is easy except losing money.

I am intrigued by the "random" point in space thing though. By removing yourself from the bias of previous data you could react to what is happening in front of you. Is it wise to disregard the past though? How much "weight" does a trend actually carry?

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · SWING TRADING<< 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.