StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · SWING TRADING<< 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 >>Post Follow-up
klynn55
747 posts
msg #57574
Ignore klynn55
12/4/2007 11:09:55 PM

TRO; here , i thought you were in this to help the unwashed, the ignorant,,the untrader, the searcher for a little independence and a better old age. Nah, you have no patience , you can't explain, only code. Sad, but i know now you don't have the answer. I wish someone would defend you. Tell us how money is made using your filters.

contrahawk
68 posts
msg #57576
Ignore contrahawk
12/5/2007 12:12:52 AM

Wow!

"here , i thought you were in this to help the unwashed, the ignorant,,the untrader, the searcher for a little independence and a better old age."

I think you wanted the Salvation Army.

Jim

curmudgeon
103 posts
msg #57586
Ignore curmudgeon
12/5/2007 1:48:49 AM

"years of statistics tell me"

(High - Open) is a "statistic" related to trading the open in exactly what way?

I'm not blocking anyones path to "light". I'm just an assho asking questions.

klynn55
747 posts
msg #57589
Ignore klynn55
12/5/2007 7:27:35 AM

While it is difficult to judge motivation, why else would a successful investor be here? You've learned your trade, you are making money, enjoy yourself. Why be here? Are you here to help? Are you here for name recognition, maybe to sell a system? If you are here to help, then do it correctly. Teach! I'm done.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #57594
Ignore alf44
modified
12/5/2007 9:13:25 AM

"I get the whole "floor trader" bit. It's a romantic way of looking at things in a scrappy, streetwise kind of way. But I have more computing and charting capability on my desk than the NSA had when Toby was a floor trader. Why would'nt I use it? "

---------------------------------------------------------------

Capturing Trend Days with a "Breakout Strategy" ... per Linda Bradford Rashke

"A breakout strategy, or intraday trend-following method, can best capture a trend day. Wait for the market to tip its hand first as to which direction it is going to trend for the day. Rarely can this be determined by the opening price alone. Thus, most breakout strategies enter only after the market has already begun to move in one direction or the other, usually by a predetermined amount.

Add the following techniques to your repertoire. All of them will ensure you participate in a trend day.

* Breakout of the Early-morning Trading Range. The morning range is defined by the high and low made in the first 45-120 minutes. Different time parameters can be used, but the most popular one is the first hour's range. Wait for this initial range to be established and then place a (1) buy stop above the morning's high and a (2) sell stop below the morning's low. A protective stop-and-reverse should always be left in place at the opposite end of he range once entry has been established.

* Early Entry. Toby Crabel defined this as a large price movement in one direction within the first 15 minutes of the opening. The probability of continuation is extremely high. Once one or two extremely large 5-minute bars appear within the first 15 minutes, a trader must be nimble enough to enter on the next "pause" that usually follows. With many of these strategies, the initial risk can appear to be high. However, a trader must recognize that as the trading volatility increases so too does the potential for good reward.

* Range Expansion off the Opening Price. A predetermined amount is added or subtracted from the opening price. Though Toby Crabel also described this concept in his book, it was really popularized by Larry Williams. The amount can be fixed, or it can be a percentage of the previous 1-3 days' average true range. With resting buy and sell stops in place, the trader will be pulled into the market whichever way price starts to move. Entry, often made in the first hour, can be made earlier than the breakout from the first hour's range. In general, the further price moves away from a given point, the greater are the odds it will continue in that same direction. The ideal is continuation in the direction of the initial trend once the trade is entered. "

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking that Linda Rashke (a "Market Wizard" btw) can blow your so-called "computing and charting ability" out of the water and SHE still actively trades these techniques...FOOL !!!

Get a clue...you're making an arse out of yourself !!!

Regards,

alf44

curmudgeon
103 posts
msg #57597
Ignore curmudgeon
12/5/2007 10:08:43 AM

"Get a clue...you're making an arse out of yourself !!! "

Like I said before, I'm an assho asking questions. I have no image that I'm concerned about and nothing to lose by asking questions. Something smells funny here though.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #57623
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/5/2007 3:16:48 PM

"TRO; here , i thought you were in this to help the unwashed, the ignorant,,the untrader, the searcher for a little independence and a better old age. Nah, you have no patience , you can't explain, only code. Sad, but i know now you don't have the answer. I wish someone would defend you. Tell us how money is made using your filters"

Not taking the bait, Klynn.

Perhaps, you are the one lacking patience. You only see what you want to see.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #57624
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/5/2007 3:18:50 PM

"(High - Open) is a "statistic" related to trading the open in exactly what way? "

Look at my TRO STAT SCAN filters.

You can see the statistics in dollars or percentages.

If a certain stock goes up a dime, then it usually goes up 50 cents or more, that's a statistic I can use as an "edge". What more do you need?

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #57625
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/5/2007 3:20:09 PM

Alf:

"There are 2 kinds of people you can't teach: the very wise and the very stupid" - Confucius

"You can't argue with ignorance"

curmudgeon
103 posts
msg #57629
Ignore curmudgeon
12/5/2007 4:13:24 PM

After reading : http://forums.stockfetcher.com/sfforums/?q=view&tid=55433&start=10

I have a few questions.

High - Open and Open - Low are certainly a way to dissect the day range and figure a bias of a stock to range a certain amount in one direction or another. I don't understand however how this is a "statistic" indicating anything useful except a stock has a certain amount of volatility. If you want to "MTC" isn't high ATR pretty much the same thing?

The reality is your method may be more precise but the outcome is exactly the same....these stocks have "X" amount of volatility. I don't see how this is a "statistic" in regards to an edge trading across a fixed line from the open and in particular to trading at the open.

I know that TS has a count function as well. On intraday bars you might be able to come up with a way to see an edge but I don't see it using High - Open.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · SWING TRADING<< 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.