StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · WHAT'S YOUIR ENTRY TRIGGER?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #65059
Ignore TheRumpledOne
7/16/2008 8:36:56 PM

Look at all the filters on SF.

Thousands of them.

But what is the ENTRY TRIGGER?

What makes you decide to actually ENTER THE TRADE?

I know Muddy's WAIT FOR GREEN entry.

I know my MILK THE COW entry.

But what about the rest of you traders?

What is the criteria you use to enter the trade?

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #65066
Ignore chetron
7/16/2008 9:43:46 PM

ULTIMATLY, WHETHER IT IS RED OR GREEN, IS JUST A CONSEQUENCE OF THE PRICE CROSSING A HORIZONTAL LINE, BE IT, TREND LINES, SUPPORT/ RESISTANCE, YESTERDAY'S HIGH/LOW/OPEN/CLOSE, AND TODAY'S HIGH/LOW/OPEN/CLOSE.

miketranz
956 posts
msg #65067
Ignore miketranz
7/16/2008 9:51:20 PM

Avery,that's a great question.My bet is that most people who buy stocks enter a market order right before the open.I myself enter on a strong close situation,and sell into the open runup.If the stock opens below the previous days close,I'm gone.More times than not,the stock gaps open.Another method for entry for a swing trade is to buy when a stock breaks above a ma(9).This method works only in the strongest trending stocks.However in this market,whipsaws are common.You need plenty of patience for any type of swing trading nowadays.....

bert123
52 posts
msg #65092
Ignore bert123
7/17/2008 1:12:38 AM

I like to see a big down day(day 1) followed by a big white candle(day 2)then placing my limit buy on day 3 somewhere around halfway up the white candle.

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #65101
Ignore luc1grunt
7/17/2008 7:51:26 AM

In the dailies (AAPL, RIMM, GE, GOOG, etc.), knowing the stock is critical. I trade breaks of chart patterns and/or s/r lines.

Confirmation is the critical piece. Certain stocks charge the line then reverse and break to the other side fooling many. Others take 2 bars to confirm then proceed somewhat orderly to the next s/r or fib retrace. Not necessarily backtested, but over time the occurrances can be plotted and used in developing an "edge". RIMM (prior to the past 4 weeks) had over 68% success rate to the next s/r "if" it held the breakout for 2 bars. That is an edge and a high probability trade with high reward to risk.

Once these probabilities are determined and validated over time, the r/r and expectancy becomes pretty clear. Trading confidently is a muliplier in my book.

With news/fed speak etc, it gets a little trickier. If the probabilities begin to change, change with it!!!! Lower the initial shares and widen the stop a little to allow the thing to breath. If the pattern changes or lines do not hold, cut the trade.

The above does not include scaling in or out.....as I use that to advantage as well. Especially when momentum on a break is sustained through a nother s/r line.

My $.02

miketranz
956 posts
msg #65177
Ignore miketranz
7/18/2008 11:46:56 AM

Avery,you have a "buy the close,sell the open filter?? That's my primary trading weapon.Can you make it clickable? Thanks,Mike.....

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #65259
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
7/19/2008 9:01:18 PM

Fetcher[
/* gap fill statistics buy close, sell open*/

set{Xgapped, open - close 1 day ago}
set{Xgapup, count(Xgapped > 0, 1)}
set{Xgapdn, count(Xgapped < 0, 1)}

set{absgap, abs(Xgapped)}

set{gappedup100, count(Xgapup > 0, 100)}
set{gappeddn100, count(Xgapdn > 0, 100)}

set{cl1lo, close 1 day ago - low}
set{hicl1, high - close 1 day ago }

set{fillup, count(cl1lo > 0, 1)}
set{filldn, count(hicl1 > 0, 1)}

set{gapupfilled, Xgapup * fillup }
set{gapdnfilled, Xgapdn * filldn }

set{gapup100f, count(gapupfilled > 0, 100)}
set{gapdn100f, count(gapdnfilled > 0, 100)}

set{gapfilled, gapup100f + gapdn100f}

set{MidLx, high + low }
set{MIddle, MidLx / 2}

set{CMb,days(close is above MIddle , 100)}
set{CMa,days(close is below MIddle ,100)}
set{CLxMid, CMa - CMb}

/* DRAW PLOTS */

DRAW XGAPPED ON PLOT XGAPPED

/* DISPLAY COLUMNS */

and add column gappedup100
and add column gappeddn100
and add column gapfilled
and add column gapup100f
and add column gapdn100f

and add column CLxMid

and add column cma(absgap, 100)
and add column absgap 100 day high
and add column absgap 100 day low

/* SELECTION CRITERIA */

gapfilled above 79
average volume(90) above 1000000

/* SORT CRITERIA */

SORT COLUMN 7 DESCENDING

chart-time is 1 month
]

miketranz
956 posts
msg #65269
Ignore miketranz
7/20/2008 10:03:15 AM

Avery,thanks again for being so helpful.You're a credit to this site.Mike.......

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #65328
Ignore TheRumpledOne
7/22/2008 2:35:52 AM

You're welcome.

Glad somebody appreciates my efforts.

Some people would have preferred that I stopped creating filters and displays a long time ago.

I have been accused of BELLS & WHISTLES, WATERING DOWN, etc...

But, fortunately, I think for myself and don't listen to naysayers.

Thanks again.

johnpaulca
12,036 posts
msg #65330
Ignore johnpaulca
7/22/2008 8:54:58 AM

Avery...you wash yo mouth out with soap...never for a moment thing we don't appreciates yo efforts.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · WHAT'S YOUIR ENTRY TRIGGER?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.