StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · sharing a successful trading system<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
jmolinatrader
11 posts
msg #155758
Ignore jmolinatrader
2/14/2021 11:10:38 AM

I am posting to seek opinions on the sharing of a successful system. Not that I have one yet.

If one was to develop a successful trading system, what would be the best course of action?

I have read on other sites that if more people used the system it would affect the performance. I don't believe this is true, but would like to hear others' experience on this.

I have also seen many people monetize their systems (picks, entry and exit strategies) through newsletters, websites, etc.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Jose

VirginTrader
73 posts
msg #155765
Ignore VirginTrader
2/14/2021 12:42:16 PM

Jose,

Welcome to SF! Not meaning to be flippant in my response...so, take it with a grain of salt.

1. you have to figure what a "successful system" means to you. Some traders can stomach > 20% drawdowns in order to stay in the trade for massive runs; some don't mind taking 5% gains and making > 5 trades/day.
2. like you stated, systems can be "bought" or you can develop your own by surprise.....putting the work in! SF contains precious nuggets; it just needs work to be discovered.
3. I've never "bought" systems; can't help you here. IMHO, no 2 traders are wired the same, how one trades the same indicator can be different.
4. yes, and for the same reason why you may not see a complete "successful system" posted here.

Simple example I can share - the curious case of GNPX
- easy to think a unique "system' picked it. however, it is not 100% accurate as other systems could have picked it up as well along the way.
- GNPX had multiple technical entry/exits triggered along the way but the big winner had fundamental analysis most likely keeping that person in the trade. System or something else?
- same with GME or AMC or BB...system triggers any of those...but which trader would actually trade GME without being biased about its past?

Good luck! Make sure I get a free pass when you monetize your system!

jmolinatrader
11 posts
msg #155767
Ignore jmolinatrader
2/14/2021 1:37:07 PM

Thank you for the prompt and thorough response Virgin Trader.

Do you think by sharing a system it would change the performance of it? My apologies if I missed it in your response.

And, yes of course, If ever come up with a successful strategy it will be free for you.

Thanks again
Jose

davesaint86
725 posts
msg #155776
Ignore davesaint86
2/14/2021 5:44:23 PM

Trading Rush
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgY_eHY4NCTcRnU6CCZXWng

Trade Pro
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrXjzUN6EtlyhaaAerbPfkQ

Both test shorter (Usually 30 minute time period or less) trading strategies, mainly Forex pairs) and publish the results

VirginTrader
73 posts
msg #155777
Ignore VirginTrader
2/14/2021 6:08:10 PM

You are welcome.

Per above example using GNPX...probably not. I personally could not follow it (which doesn't mean others cannot) but i was intrigued by the pick a bought a small amount. Turned out OK so far but was that "trading"?

Larry Connors has published his "systems" that have been successfully back tested and yet...

Why is that? I would hazard to guess...human nature.

Once you start writing your SF script; throw it out as there are a lot of talented ppl here who are willing to help out.

graftonian
1,089 posts
msg #155778
Ignore graftonian
modified
2/14/2021 6:35:22 PM

Jose,
Check out the story of Avery Horton (aka: TRO or The Rumpled One). He was a prolific and imaginative contributor on SF when I first joined. He has a Youtube channel trading Forex.
My favorite TRO quote: "It ain't what you trade, it's how you trade it."
Another of my early mentors was Kevin_in_Ga. He addressed the issue of SF ever moving the market.

http://www.stockfetcher.com/forums2/Filter-Exchange/PANGOLIN-Z-AND-PANGOLIN-W-FULL-SYSTEM-CODE/122431/-1/122431

Good luck,
Graf

jmolinatrader
11 posts
msg #155780
Ignore jmolinatrader
2/14/2021 8:29:27 PM

Thank you VirginTrader, graftonian, and davesaint86. I will be sure to check out those links.

I will continue chasing the dream :)

Best,
Jose

miketranz
956 posts
msg #155781
Ignore miketranz
2/14/2021 9:29:29 PM

Jose,I'm going answer some of your questions."People" or retail traders don't have the size to move markets,institutional trading desks do.I wouldn't worry about any of that.Build the system,trade it,modify it,until you find something that works for you on a consistent basis,that's the key.As far as what's out there in reference to picks,most of them couldn't trade their way out of a paper bag.They're selling you a bag of goods.My opinion,the best course of action,model success.Darvas box system,Larry Connors methods,are all on here.I'm even sure someone on here will help you out building your own system.Best,Miketranz...

shillllihs
5,974 posts
msg #155784
Ignore shillllihs
2/15/2021 1:35:06 AM

My system was developed after 10s of thousands of hours of studies and although I like helping people I can’t just give it up as it does dilute its effectiveness. My cousin who is also my realtor was so mad when I didn’t share it with them but I made up for it by saying just stay long till at least May. I also sell my systems on 5 websites and if I told everyone I would lose so much.

snappyfrog
653 posts
msg #155785
Ignore snappyfrog
2/15/2021 7:01:10 AM

Do you want the Holy Grail of trading filters? Continue reading.

After years of study, learning how to write scans and tweaking everything I saw here, I have the answer,

For the low, low cost of only ....

Determine what kind of trader you are, write scans that give good entries according to charts you see that will give you the best entry for your style. Then and only then will you have a Holy Grail filter.

But, it will only be a Holy Grail filter for you. I can't trade your style, you probably can't trade according to my style. Again, find entries according to charts fitting your style, engineer your scans to fit your style and you will be a happy person.

I have taken ideas from many, many people here and tried to make them my own. In the end, all of the knowledge gained here made me a much better trader.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · sharing a successful trading system<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.