StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · nichoshopen<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
ashraf999
33 posts
msg #46936
Ignore ashraf999
9/14/2006 5:17:51 PM

I modefied it alittle bit. Does the following fit your criteria?

Fetcher[days(price 1 day ago crossed above center Keltner Band(7),9) equal 1
days(center Keltner Band(7) crossed below dma(28,-14),10) above 4
sort column 2 ascending
close 0 days ago > open 0 days ago
price 0 days ago crossed above center Keltner Band(7)
upper bollinger(17) above close
volume(90) > 100000
volume 0 days ago > volume 1 days ago
draw bollinger(17)
offset 0
]

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #46946
Ignore nikoschopen
9/14/2006 9:18:10 PM

ash,

First of all, you don't need to add "0 days ago" nor "offset 0" in ure filter. In the absence of any values (eg, 10 days ago, or date offset 10), SF takes 0 as its default anyway. Also the first line, "days(price 1 day ago crossed above center Keltner Band(7),9) equal 1", is a bit ambiguous. Literally it sez "As of 1 day ago, price 1 days ago crossed above todays's center Keltner Band(7)." Is that what you had in mind? If so, why?

You also need to take into consideration of the "double bottom" formation, which isn't very hard to code but it may be too limiting in scope. As a result, no stocks will be fetched. Here's a very primitive screener that I use in conjuction with this setup (yes, I have other filters, too):

Fetcher[
DMA(28,-14) above upper keltner(7)
days(center keltner(7) crossed below DMA(28,-14),10) above 5
close above center keltner(7)

price above 20
avgvol(17) above 300000

draw Bollinger(17)
]

As of today, 9/14, only one match (ASF) registered on the screen. But if you look at the chart of ASF, you know that it has yet to form a "W" or the "double bottom" formation. So you might want to keep ure eyes out on this stock for a few more days.

On a closing note, I would like to re-emphasize that this setup is more of a strategy than a system. As a daytrader, I apply this method on 5-, 15- and 30-minute charts. As long as you know what to look for, you need not bother chasing after myriads of different stocks. Since you can apply this method to any chart, you really need only one.

ashraf999
33 posts
msg #46948
Ignore ashraf999
9/14/2006 11:08:44 PM

I am still getting confused between days(....) and count(....). Sometimes I think they are the same. After I changed it, I looked at the chart and found the "W" formatioan for "ESNR" as of 9/14. However, dma(28,-14) had already been shifted for the first crossover.

Fetcher[count(close 1 day ago had been above center Keltner Band(7),9) equal 1
sort column 2 ascending
close > open
close above center Keltner Band(7)
volume(90) > 100000
volume ago > volume 1 days ago
]

ashraf999
33 posts
msg #46949
Ignore ashraf999
9/14/2006 11:11:21 PM

Fetcher[count(close 1 day ago had been above center Keltner Band(7),9) equal 1
sort column 2 ascending
close > open
close above center Keltner Band(7)
volume(90) > 100000
volume > volume 1 days ago
]

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #46954
Ignore nikoschopen
9/15/2006 2:46:30 AM

ash,

Count() vs day() functions aren't as confusing as you might think. Count() will find the number of occurences within x number of days. Day(), on the other hand, will simply spit out how many days ago such occurences happened.

Going back to the above example, sometime the "double formation" (DB) is nearly indiscernible or nonexistent in certain stocks. Often, they will shoot straight up to the moon without making a DB. It's only fair to say that there's no way to know in advance which will make the DB and which will catapult without a pause. However, the risk you take with the ones that make the DB is a samall one. You know that if the trade turns against you, you can get out with a minimal loss.

It's also worth noting that the DMA(28,-14) turn upward in a timely manner. It should go north within days, if not immediately, once you embark on a trade. As long as it remains up, you may safely stay put until the center Keltner crosses above the DMA(28,-14), at wich point ure wise to close shop.

Since a picture is worth a thousad words, I'll see if I can find a good looking chart and upload it to a image hoster.

ashraf999
33 posts
msg #47005
Ignore ashraf999
9/17/2006 2:58:23 AM

I am not sure if there is magical in this filter that is based on dma(28,-14) and keltner(7) but it seems to me the price keeps going up for 2-3 days at least.

Fetcher[count(price 1 day ago below center keltner(7),5) > 3
show stocks where dma(28,-14) above close
and 1-day slope of dma(28,-14) > 0
and close above center keltner(7)
and close > 2
and volume(90) > 100000
and volume > volume 1 days ago
and close > open
and low below lower keltner(7)
sort by column 2 ascending
]

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #47064
Ignore nikoschopen
9/19/2006 4:15:13 PM

LOL. There is no magic in this setup but what more can I expect as a day trader? Ever since ure request, however, I've looked through many charts on a daily interval and found many stocks that rallied for weeks. Hence, I'm convinced that this strategy is not limited only to day traders.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #47065
Ignore nikoschopen
9/19/2006 4:48:01 PM

Having said that, I should point out that there are a few lines in ure filter that need some adjustment. First, you want either a flat or ascending rather than a descending DMA. It's also not necessary to see a close above the DMA, but you do want a white candle (ie, close above open) above the center Keltner. The 9th line that reads "low below lower keltner(7)", although not contradictory to my premise that close be above the center Keltner, is highly unlikely to occur. Hence you might want to omit it altogether. All in all, however, I'm glad to see that ure filter is taking shape.

For a visual illustration, refer to
http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=patternss5.png

I haven't included a detailed annotation. I would rather have you look through the chart in detail and comment on what you think to be a discernible pattern pertaining to the strategy in question. If you want to reach in private, feel free to contact me at [my username]at<gmail.com>.

gocats
22 posts
msg #47170
Ignore gocats
9/26/2006 4:06:47 PM

Hey Nikoschopen

Here's what I come up with (My first filter)

I like the results that its giving me. Do you see anything wrong or anything that should be changed?

Fetcher[ draw dma(28,-14)
and lower keltner(7) is below lower bollinger band(17)
and center keltner(7) is below dma(28, -14)
set {cPerc2, upper keltner(7) * 1.5 }
set {cPerc, cPerc2 / 100}
set {cLow, upper keltner(7) - cPerc}
and ma(28) > cLow
and close > 2
and dma(28,-14) above low
and average volume(90) > 100000
and 28 day slope of dma(28, -14) > 0.004
do not draw cLow
do not draw 28 day slope of dma(28, -14)
]

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #47172
Ignore nikoschopen
9/26/2006 4:35:49 PM

gocats,

By glancing over the charts using the "date offset" function alone, the results looks pretty damn good. Could you explain what the rationale is for including the following lines?

set {cPerc2, upper keltner(7) * 1.5 }
set {cPerc, cPerc2 / 100}
set {cLow, upper keltner(7) - cPerc}
and ma(28) > cLow

Mathematically speaking, I could see that ure taking the difference between cPerc and the upper Keltner(7), but I don't understand where the MA(28) fits into the overall scheme of things. Perhaps you see things differently than this poor soul. :^)

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · nichoshopen<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.